Love your skin

Why is skin care so important?

I want to teach my girls to look after their skin firstly before trying to pack on the makeup.  Now don't get me wrong, I am not anti makeup!  Far from it!  I love makeup.  But I always come back to basics about proper skin care and prevention, which is the foundation for this post.

How to pick good skincare?

  • Avoid products with perfumes
  • Look at the ingredients not the brand's slogan
  • Seriously consider products containing Glycolic acid.  It has tremendous properties for exfoliation and continued use has been seen to increase hydration.
  • Concentrated ingredients, like AHA's, retinol, Salicylic Acid etc
  • Paraben free
  • Avoid Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) & Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES


My daughters are growing up and the YouTube makeup tutorial trend has taken over their age group as well as many young adult women too.   While considering how I would approach this topic of makeup, I was reminded of an old slogan about 'letting the real you shine through'. Now I can't recall exactly where or when this phrase was discovered in my memory but it made a lot of sense to me. 


Essentials to also include..

  • Drink lots of water
  • Get plenty of sleep
  • Avoid smoking 
  • Avoid drinking excessively
  • Wear SPF daily
  • Never sleep with makeup on

My Faves

My personal skin care routine is kept as minimal as possible and I only use Australian owned products as I can trust their ingredients and standards. I love Alpha-H for their concentrated ingredients and great minimal packaging!  They have a range for every stage of your life so it's important to identify your concerns and discover which range suits your needs. 


My Routine

Daily Cleanser: I always start and end each day by cleansing my skin.  It is so super important to cleanse in the morning especially if you are a tummy sleeper like me as any oils from your hair etc would have been sitting on your face overnight. 

Hydrating gel: I use this hydrating gel morning and night as well because I can breakout occasionally around my chin area so the salicylic acid in this helps keep breakouts at bay while keeping me hydrated. 

Daily SPF: I lvoe this SPF as it doesn't have that awful whitening look that some other strong SPF's have.  It's great to have under makeup too!

And once or twice a week I add these to my routine 

Smoothing Mask: This is my Holy Grail at the moment because it exfoliates AND hydrates!  Winner of Bazaar Beauty 100 in 2015!

Super Scrub Micro Cleanse: This is a powerful scrub with AHA to thoroughly exfoliate my skin leaving it soft and fresh.

At this stage in my life I feel these products have been so helpful in keeping my skin smooth and clear.  However as my birthday is coming up I am considering upping the anti on some more preventative products!  



Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A day to celebrate love

The Corporate Edit from The Iconic

Unique luxe gifts for kids